Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Florida's Stately Royal Palms



Lake Worth, Fla. February 17, 1942
The palms are beauts!  You are good.  You get 2 cards from me.  Lucky devils


L.W. Fla. 2-16-42
Dear Irene & D.
Well, Irene how does it see, to be a stay-at-home for a change.  On the 13th I remarked that was the last day you worked.  Al wouldn’t write what I told her to write you so I will say it.  Right now I feel like great balls of fire but am as brown as a potato. Ran into Theda Koeze? Waolker? This P.M. at the beach.  The only day she expects to spend in Lake Worth.  Strange?
82 degrees here today- still zero up there?


Love Vicki


Mr. and Mrs. D.W. Miller
141 Goldsboro Pl. N.E.
Grand Rapids, Michigan


I don't know if I've ever described a sunburn as "Great Balls of Fire," but Vicki must have had a deep tan from that burn.

The Royal Palms pictured here are native Florida species, and were planted to line the streets in many south Florida communities.  I'm sitting under one right now.

As to the Miller family- we ran across Beatrice Miller yesterday, living in Lebanon, PA.  The Michigan Geneaologist from the Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries lists a Miller and Cochran Furniture Store from 1894.  Their house no longer stands, most of it developed into a large campus of an unknown organization.  Another interesting coincidence is that a Dr. D.W. Miller, Jr. wrote a recent paper against water fluoridation that began in Grand Rapids, MI in 1945.  

No comments:

Post a Comment